Salted Caramel and Dark Choc Popcorn
Anyone that knows me well knows that I am obsessed with popcorn! it is my favourite snack and can be eaten so many ways! Usually I keep it plain but sometimes when I have people around I get creative with new flavours. These are my two favourite sweet ways of eating my popcorn. Popcorn is a whole grains meaning it contains fiber and antioxidants. Therefor throw out those chips and cookies kids and bring on the popcorn instead! Recent studies have shed light on the multiple health benefits of this delicious snack. Whole grains, fiber and antioxidants are wrapped up in this simple snack woo! It can also be flavoured so many different ways, savoury or sweet. Its totally up to you! This recipe is made for one of the flavours, so if you are planning on combining the two together just half the ingredients you need for the sauces!
YOU WILL NEED:
For the popcorn..
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels
For salted caramel sauce..
- 3 tbs of rice-malt syrup/or honey
- 1/2 tbs of coconut oil
- Tbs of Pink salt
For the dark choc..
- 1 tbs of coconut oil
- 1 tbs of rice malt syrup/or honey
- 2 tbs of cacao/coco powder
Making the popcorn
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat.
- Once saucepan is hot and oil melted place 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds.
- Return the pan back to the heat and it should begin popping soon. Gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan and lid from the heat and dump into a big bowl or two seprate bowls if your planning on making two of the flavours.
The caramel sauce
- Put a small saucepan on a medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot add in your coconut oil, rice malt syrup and stir together
- After about a minute take off the heat and pour over the popcorn.
- Combine together, sprinkle your salt through and there ya have it!
- Note: Cinnamon adds a great touch to it
The dark choc sauce
- Place a small saucepan on a medium heat
- Once saucepan is hot add in your coconut oil, rice malt syrup and stir.
- After a minute take off heat and mix in your cacao.
- Now pour all over your popcorn!